10 Questions for Stefan Uhl
In our format “Oberwasser,” we take the time to engage with decision-makers and specialists in the communication industry, gaining thought-provoking insights. “Oberwasser” delivers substantial insights into the business and the industry from those who know it best, like Stefan Uhl.
- Name: Stefan Uhl
- Job / Company: Managing Director / Carat Deutschland GmbH – FFM
- My Corona skill (things I learned during Corona): 15-20 Min. Midday Rest – whether it’s meditation, power nap, or a simple snooze – works wonders.
- On which platform were you most active during the lockdown, and what content did you consume on it?
Browsed Instagram longingly, exploring pictures of other groundhoppers capturing floodlights and old bleachers.
- How do you manage to stay professionally and personally connected despite the distance?
MS Teams has become the standard tool, but nothing replaces personal contact.
- Since Corona, no day has been the same, and decisions made yesterday may not matter today. How do you motivate yourself daily?
This is not a Corona phenomenon but has long been our reality. The daily new challenges are the fun part of what we do.
- How will the Corona crisis influence your work environment long term?
The Dentsu Aegis Network had already set the stage for agile working and home office long before the “lockdown.” However, I expect a shift towards more sustainability in terms of the necessity of business trips in the post-Corona phase and the future.
- Do you think Germany needed Corona to advance digital transformation?
Corona certainly catalyzed the change. I was surprised by that was such an extensive need to catch-up in our educational sector. There still seems to be no real progress in effectively leveraging the opportunities of digital transformation. The biggest challenge here is not just the technical equipment but the high need for teachers to be trained.
- Who is your “hidden champion” in the Corona crisis?
The many small entrepreneurs with fantastic creative solutions during the initial phase of the lockdown.
- Is Corona still a dominant topic for you, or are issues like #blacklivesmatters, Trump, or the next vacation more important?
Corona will continue to have the greatest impact on my daily life for the foreseeable future. It is certainly the predominant topic.
- Do you think Corona has made you and all of us more critical?
It is with great concern that I look upon a growing tendency to criticize everything without substance. A brief glance at the comments on social media often leads to despair.
- Do you believe brands/companies should react to these issues now, or is it better to ignore them?
Those who take a stance and live it within their organization should communicate it. This may also include admitting past mistakes. People appreciate that, even if we shouldn’t overestimate our memory capacity.
- Your tip to stay afloat during Corona
Take a deep breath – 10 minute break – and consciously realize, we’re just in the advertising business.